Last year, late in the spring, I decided to start a little project for Claire and me to work on together. We were going to start a small patio garden. One raised plant bed to grow a few vegetables. At the same time, we bought a planter and a blueberry bush. It was going to be a whole little gardening project.
But unfortunately, it didn’t work out. The blueberry plant yielded only the blueberries that were already budding when we bought the tree and one more small batch. I also planted a jalapeño plant and four herbs. I built a rectangular garden box and we planted zucchini, watermelon, and cucumbers. They grew, but never bloomed or produced fruit.
Around the same time, we started a worm farm, because I thought we were going to need fertilizer for our plants.
Most of our plants were dead or about to die by late September. The only survivor was the jalapeño plant, the blueberry plant, and a mint plant.
But we kept the worm farm going because we can always use the so called “black gold” from the worms into our regular plants and we can prevent some waste from going into the trash. And Claire and Oliver get to learn about it which is always a good thing.
So this year, we decided to give the whole gardening thing a try again and I started prepping the garden box soil with some of the worm castings (worm poop for those of you uninitiated). I got it all setup, mixed the castings with the soil, watered it a couple times and one day as I was heading out to the store to buy some seeds or seedlings I noticed that there were three little sprouts.
I let them be because I realized they would be sprouts of something we ate and eventually fed to the worms, it could have been a cucumber, tomatoes, watermelon, or any number of other plants with small seeds. Obviously, the worms had not touched these seeds.
Fast forward about 2 months and we had huge plants overwhelming the garden box. And after looking at the leaves and flowers I found out there were tomatoes. I ended up planting green onions and left the tomato plants with them.
Now we have tomatoes and we collected our first batch the other day. We picked about 1.5 pounds of them! We have two varieties. One is grape tomato, and the other one is Carmello tomato (I think). Also, our jalapeño plant ended up blooming while the blueberry totally died.
Claire loves taking care of the plants with me and Oliver loves to help pick them and eat them. We got lucky this time so we’re happy about that and we’re glad we didn’t give up after the first failure.
After we picked the tomatoes and the jalapeños we used them so fast that I forgot to take some photos. I’ll need to get more photos and some video for the next update.